2 bunches of fresh spinach
1 tbsp mint
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
2 bunches green onions
200g feta cheese
1/2 cup melted butter
1 pack of filo
1. Cut the stems off the spinach and wash well.
2 Sprinkle with salt and mash up the spinach with your hands. This is my Giagia’s method of wilting the spinach. It also adds flavour to the spinach straight away.
3. Chop green onions and add to spinach. Sprinkle pepper, mint and garlic powder. Mix well.
4. Preheat oven at 400. If you have a convection oven turn it on. The air makes the filo.
5. Grease the pan with enough oil so that the filo doesn’t stick. Layer the pan with 8 to 9 filo sheets.
6. Fill the pan with the spinach, crumbled feta and 1 beaten egg.
7. Cover the filling with another 8 to 9 filo sheets. Each time you add a layer to the to and bottom of the pan oyu must brush olive oil to keep the filo moist.
8. Once you are done with the last layer it is a good idea to pre-cut your spanakopita so that when it is done baking and you want to cut it, it is easier.
9. Then you are ready to pop it in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes on the 4 level.
10. You can eat this nostimo spanakopita for a snack, breakfast, or with a simple Greek Salad.