Here is another recipe you can try with Adzuki Beans, the super bean featured on Dr.OZ. This is an alternative to my famous Tortilla Bake. I have made this Tortilla Bake with every kind of Chili filling. It is very versatile and it takes comfort food to another level. For best results make the Chili a day or two before to let the flavours infuse together into a savoury masterpiece of yummy goodness.
CHICKEN CHILI TORTILLA BAKE WITH ADZUKI BEANS
1 1/2 lbs of ground chicken
2 cups of adzuki beans
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups of corn
2 cups of tomato sauce
2 cups of water
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp oregano
1 cup of cilantro
6 large tortilla shells
500 g of shredded cheese ( Mexicana Blend )
1 jar of salsa
1. Place adzuki beans in a bowl and soak for 6 to 8 hours. Boil for 40 minutes after soaking.
2. Saute pepper, onion and garlic in a large stock pot for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add the ground chicken and brown well for about 10 minutes. Add the seasoning at this point.
4. Add the adzuki beans, tomato sauce and water and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Continue simmering for another 10 minutes while adding the corn.
6. In a large rectangular baking dish brush with oil so the tortillas do not stick on the bottom of the dish during baking. Add two tortillas making sure to overlap a bit.
7. Spoon over a generous helping salsa and the chili over the tortillas and spread it as flat you can. Sprinkle with a good helping of cheese and then cilantro. Repeat with another layer of tortillas, salsa, chili, cheese and cilantro.
8. Top with two more tortilla shells and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and cilantro. Bake for 30 minutes in a preheat 425F oven.