TRADITIONAL GREEK CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
This is all time favourite in the Karipidis Home and now that I’m making it for my own family, it quickly becoming a family favourite in the Herrera Home. Adding lemon egg drop into your usual chicken noodle soup will give your soup a velvety texture and subtle lemony flavour. Perfect for a cold winter’s day to drive away the chills or after a late night out to soothe those aching muscles.
1 chicken breast, bone in
2 garlic cloves
1 celery stalk
1 bay leaf
1. In a medium stock pot, place all the ingredients above with 4 cups of water and a drop of canola oil. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes to cook the chicken and create a homemade chicken broth.
2. Remove all the ingredients except for the liquid. Discard everything, except the chicken. Set that aside to shred later.
1 cube of chicken broth
4 bundles of noodles, crushed
juice of 1/2 a lemon
3. After clearing the chicken stock from the chicken and the flavouring debris, bring stock back to a boil adding the cube of chicken broth and crushed noodles. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl beat the egg and lemon. Sprinkle with salt.
5. After the noodles are done cooking set the whole pot aside. The soup needs to cool down before adding the lemon drop otherwise you will get scrambled eggs in your soup. You don’t want that. You want a creamy consistency. If you are in a rush to serve the soup, set the pot aside and ladle out some of the broth into a separate mixing bowl. This will quicken the cooling period. If you are not in a rush let it stand for an hour or two.
6. As you are waiting for the soup to cool down, shred the chicken and place it gently in the soup. Stir together.
7. Once the soup has cooled down, you can directly ladle some of the broth into the lemon drop and beat together for a velvety texture. If you have cooled down some broth separately, you can wait for 10 to 15 minutes to cool down. Add the broth to the lemon drop in the same fashion.
8. Lastly, stir in the avgolemono gently into the soup. Enjoy with crackers, crusty bread or on its own.