|PERUVIAN ROAST CHICKEN
& QUINOA WITH BLACK BEANS
After much contemplation about what to make for dinner today, I decided on a chicken and quinoa dish. The inspiration came from two sources; my husband and a cookbook called 365 Quinoa.
PERUVIAN ROAST CHICKEN
4 chicken breast, bone in
juice from 1 lime
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/4 cup water
1. Preheat the oven at 425F.
2. If the chicken still has the skin on, it’s your choice if you want to leave it on or trim it off.
3. Bath the chicken in olive oil and lime juice.
4. In a small bowl, mix the salt, pepper, oregano, paprika and garlic powder. Rub it onto the chicken breasts. Be generous.
5. Place chicken breasts in a rectangular Pyrex, pour the water in the bottom of the dish and cover with foil.
6. Roast for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes, uncover and continue roasting for another 15 minutes. This will crisp up the top of the chicken.
QUINOA WITH BLACK BEAN
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cube of chicken stock
1 can black beans
1 red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
3/4 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 tsp aji rojo (ancho chili paste)
1/2 tbsp oregano
1. In a small sauce pan, place the quinoa with the water, olive oil and cube of chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the water is evaporated. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. In the same pot, heat some olive oil. Saute the red onions and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and seasoning. Stir together and saute for another couple of minutes. Add the black beans after straining and washing. Stir together. Gently add the cilantro and quinoa. Lower heat to low and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
* The Quinoa with Black Bean is perfect as a side dish like I paired it with the chicken but you can easily eat it on its own.