|Shrimp with Artichokes & Tomatoes
A few years back a celebrated my birthday in the Big Apple, New York City with one of my good friends, Suzanne Cowan. It was one of the best trips I had taken because it was full of new experiences for me. That summer I went to Broadway Show and then ate at one of the best Italian Restaurants in New York, Tony Malone’s. Someone had recommended this restaurant to me before going off on my trip and I was pleasantly surprised that I was not disappointed. The food was delicious. One of the dishes we ordered was Baked Tiger Prawns with Artichokes and Tomato. The flavours of this dish stayed with me well after my trip.
On returning to Toronto, I decided to recreate my favourite dish to commemorate my trip to the Big Apple. Of course, I was working only with the memory of the tastes and ingredients. Thankfully, my taste memory is strong and I was able to reproduce this dish which has become one of my favourite dishes. You can pair this dish with pasta, rice or simply on its own as an appetiser or if you are watching your carb intake. It is also versatile because you can experiment with different cheeses for a unique flavour each time you make this dish.
2 bags of shrimp
2 cans of artichoke quarters
1 pint of cherry tomatoes
200 g crumbled feta
200 g pecorino regiano, grated
3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp basil
juice of 1 lemon
1. Rinse and peel the shrimp if they still have the shells on. Set aside.
2. Place the drained artichoke quarters, tomatoes and shrimp in a rectangular Pyrex dish.
3. Drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil. Squeeze in the lemon juice and garlic. Stir together. Add the basil, salt and pepper.
4. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven 425 for 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes, uncover and continue to bake for another 15 minutes. This allows the liquid to evaporate and brown the shrimps slightly.