|Gigantes – Baked Lima Beans
This is the quintessential recipe for all Greek people around the world who observe Lent for Easter or any other religion holiday. Gigantes can been eaten as a meal on a bed of rice or served as a meze with an assortment of olives, pickles and bread. Which ever way you want to serve this hearty dish, you are sure to enjoy every bite.
3 cans of lima beans
1 onion, diced
3 to 4 garlic cloves, diced
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tbsp mint
1/2 tbsp oregano
1 cup tomato pulp
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Open, drain and wash lima beans before placing them in a baking dish.
3. Meanwhile, saute onions, garlic, tomato juice and seasoning in a non-stick pan with a generous amount of olive oil. 5 minutes or until the tomato juice starts to bubble.
4. Pour of the lima beans and mix well.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Uncover and continue cooking uncovered for 15 minutes so that the beans crisp up a bit on top. If the liquid evaporates too much add 1/4 cup of boiled water to bring back the natural juices of the dish.