Last night’s dinner was inspired by a bunch of leftovers I had in the fridge for a couple of nights ago. I don’t have anything against leftovers; in fact they have saved me time and time again. However, I tend to get bored of the same meal twice that is why I am always looking for new ways to transform leftovers into other dishes such as last night’s creation.
Black Bean & Chicken Rice Casserole
1. Oil the bottom of your Pyrex baking dish so that the rice does not stick to the dish.
2. Preheat oven at 425F.
3. As you are preheating the oven, warm up the rice if it has been in fridge for 10 minutes. This should give you enough time to prepare all the other ingredients.
4. Next, shred the cheese and dice up the roasted chicken. Set aside.
5. Once the rice is warmed up enough spoon it into the dish. Sprinkle in some of the cheese. Mix in some of the cheese to create a clue for the rice. Spoon on 1/2 of the salsa on top of the rice.
6. Then spoon on the black bean chili, followed by the roasted chicken.
7. Lastly, cover the chicken layer with the rest of the salsa and cheese. Place in the oven for 20 minutes
to allow all the layers to cook together and melt the cheese.
* For the recipe for the Black Bean Chili check the March 2013 issue
* For the roasted chicken, simply chose the cut of chicken you want to roast. I used chicken breast. Marinade with your favourite seasonings and roast in a 425F oven for 45 minutes. 30 minutes covered. 15 minutes uncovered.