The Island Omelet was inspired by leftover empanada filling I had from a couple of days ago. As I was creating a new empanada for my empanada business, there was a small portion of the filling that was not large enough to fill anymore shells. After some thought as what to do with this leftover filling, I came up with this brunch concoction.
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp salsa fresca
1 cup empanada filling
cubed marble cheddar cheese
1. In a non-stick pan heat canola oil. Add the empanada filling and bring to a saute. Lower heat as not to burn the cheese.
2. Beat the eggs and stir in the salsa fresca with a dash of salt and pepper.
3. Pour egg mixture over the black bean mixture. As the egg is cooking gather the edges to the middle so that the raw egg runs to the edges of the omelet. Do not turn over.
4. If you have an oven proof pan, continue baking at 350F for 10 minutes. If the handle of your pan is plastic like my pan has, lower the heat and cover with a lid. The heat will steam the egg on top of the omelet and make it puffy too.
5. Serve with toast and your favourite brunch beverage.