To celebrate the harvest season at the Karipidis home, I decided to make one of my favourite Peruvian dishes while using my Mom’s Pesto that we had made from her basil a few days before. A Peruvian dinner is never complete without a cold glass of Inca Cola. Thankfully, our local grocery store – Fresh Co carries my husband’s favourite soft drink and so we were able to enjoy a completely Peruvian Dinner with all the fixings.
1 package of linguine
2 cups of pesto
200g of Parmesan cheese
1 lbs flank steak
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp oregano
1. Mix the soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, canola oil, cumin and oregano together to create the marinade for the steak.
2. Place the flank steak in a roasting pan and pour the marinade over the flank steak. Bath the flank steak with the marinade and place in the refrigerator for a few hours.
3. Boil the linguine for 10 minutes. Strain but keep 1 cup of the pasta water. In the same pot that you boiled the pasta you can mix the pesto sauce. Return the pasta to the pot and immediately spoon on the pesto, add the pasta water and combine together so that the pesto coats all the pasta. Sprinkle with 100 g of the Parmesan cheese.
4. You can either barbecue the flank steak or you can roast it in the oven. To roast it in the oven place the marinaded flank steak on a rack. Preheat oven to 450F. Cover the roasting pan with foil and roast for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the foil, flip the flank steak on the other side and baste with the pan juices. Reduce heat to 425F and return the pan to the oven so that the steak can brown.
5. To plate this dish first spoon on a good helping of the tallarines, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and add 3 to 4 slices of the flank steak.
6. Serve with Inca Cola for a true Peruvian dinner experience.