Now that I am falling in love with the leafy green called Kale I am finding all kinds of ways to prepare this super food. Every Monday is lentils day at the Herrera family because we like to observe some Peruvian traditions. Turns out that the Peruvians eat lentils every Monday so that it brings them money. Although we are eating a healthy dinner every Monday I am still waiting for the jackpot at the end of the week. All kidding aside, here is another delicious way to prepare kale.
2 cups of lentils
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 tbsp mince garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tbsp mint
1 cup of tomato pulp
4 cups of chicken stock
2 cups of chopped kale
1. Place the lentils in a medium size stock pot with enough water to cover the lentils. Bring the water to a boil. Lower to a simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Stir in the onions, red pepper and garlic. Allow to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes with the lentils.
3. Now add the seasonings: cumin, paprika and mint. Stir into the lentils.
4. Next pour in the tomato pulp and chicken stock. Continue simmering the lentils for another 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes you may need to add more water so make sure you keep a kettle of boiled water near by. At this point you want to add the kale, salt, pepper and olive oil. Simmer for another 15 minutes.