3 lbs ground meat3 eggs
3 cups bread crumbs1 cup tomato sauce
2 large onions. diced ( 1 onion for the biftekia, 1 for the sauce)
4 to 5 garlic cloves, diced ( separate the garlic )
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp mint
1 tbsp oregano1 tsp cinnamon
1. Combine all the above ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Roll gorund beef mixture into medium size meatballs.
2. For best results grill on the barbeque or grill in the oven at 425F for 30 minutes (15 minutes on each side). You may fry the meatballs but they tend to get too oily.
Kokkinisto – Red Sauce
3 cups tomato sauce
1 tsp oregano1 tsp mint
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
3. To prepare sandwich use your favourite sandwich bread. I used a dense rye bread but you can use kaiser buns or a good sub bun. Place 2 meatballs on the bottom and spread on the Kokkinisto sauce and sprinkle your favourite sandwich cheese. I used Fruilano Cheese because of the mild flavour and its melting capabilities.
4. Grill open faced at 350F for
10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
5. Serve with a side of Lemon Potato Wedges.