There is something satisfying about biting into a sandwich that leaves you wanting more. One of my favourite sandwiches is the Pulled Pork Sandwich because of the texture of the slow cooked pork and the flavourful sauce that the shredded pork bathes in before being placed in a buttered bun and topped with cheddar cheese and coleslaw. Not only is this sandwich delicious but it also bring back memories of summer. Every summer at Thomson’s Park in Scarborough there is a huge Rib Fest and every year you go to savour the ribs and pulled pork sandwiches. It has become one of my family summer traditions. The sandwich I want to share with you today is my Chocolate Chili Pulled Pork Sandwiches. Now you may be wondering about the chocolate in the pulled pork but I assure you that the chocolate gives another layer of flavour that is subtle yet addictive. Here’s how to pump up your pulled pork.
3 onions sliced
4 garlic cloves minced
1 1/2 cup tomato pulp
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup aji colorado
1/4 cup fancy molasses
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tbsp oregano
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
2 oz chocolate chopped
1 lbs pork tenderloin
1. Place all the ingredients into a slow cooker. Coat the pork in the sauce and put to cook for 6 to 8 hours.
2. Once the pork has finished cooking turn off the slow cooker, remove the pork and shred well before returning the meat to the slow cooker. submerge the shredded pork into the sauce and keep warm until ready to serve.
Serving the Pulled Pork
I like to use a hearty burger bun but you can use any sandwich bun you like; perhaps a sub bun or a kaiser bun, anything that will stand up to the sauce and the toppings without falling apart on first bite.
1. Toast buttered buns on the grill if you are having a bbq or at 350F for 10 minutes.
2. Spoon on a generous helping of the Chocolate Chili Pulled Pork then a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and a mini mountain of coleslaw. I like to pair my Pulled Pork Sandwiches with my Peruvian Coleslaw.
3. Make sure to have a lot of napkins nearby and your favourite beverage on hand.