One of my favourite dishes is Chili because it is so versatile. I like experiment with a variety of beans and other ingredients like different proteins and vegetable combinations. Each time I make Chili the classic dish is always transformed slightly to make mealtime exciting. Here is my latest creation. Black Eye Bean Chili.
2 litres of water
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 cup baby carrots, chopped
1 pint of cremini mushrooms, diced
1 onion, diced
3 to 4 garlic cloves, diced
1/2 tsp smoked mild paprika
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp sage
1 tsp basil
2 to 3 bay leaves
1 cup tomato pulp
1/2 cube chicken or vegetable stock
1. Soak the beans overnight.
2. Boil the soaked black eye beans in a large stock pot with 4 cups of water for 1 hour.
3. After the hour strain the beans and set aside. In the same pot saute the vegetables in 2 tbsp of canola oil for 5 to 7 minutes. Then season with spices and herbs and stir together for another couple of minutes.
4. Boil 4 cups of water. Meanwhile add the tomato pulp, chicken or vegetable stock and the beans into the pot. Combine with the vegetables and pour in the boiling water.
5. Simmer for 30 minutes. Serve with rice or on its one.