Finally Spring had sprung in Toronto and I’m starting to plan weekend outings for the family to enjoy. Tomorrow we will be going to the Metro Toronto Zoo to see the Giant Pandas and the other animals. I’m really looking forward to tomorrow’s trip to the Zoo because it reminds me of my childhood. Growing up in an immigrant family we didn’t have much. Instead of being sent off to summer camp like some other kids we enjoyed the summer with our parents. My sister and I were very lucky to have parents that wanted to do things with us. We went everywhere; the Zoo, Wonderland, Niagara Falls. Balsam Beach, Centre Island and of course our family favourite Cherry Avenue Farms. Aside from the great adventures we had I remember the food we ate. Since my parents had a moderate income at the time my Mom always packed a picnic cooler full of yummy food. Often time she would make these killer sandwiches I remember til this very day which I want to share with all of you.
Venetia’s Schnitzel Sandwich.
8 pork cutlets
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup flour
1. You will need 3 separate shallow dishes for each breading step.
2. Breading station 1: mix flour with a dash or salt and pepper.
3. Breading station 2: beat eggs.
4. Breading station 3: mix a good helping of bread crumbs and as much paprika as you want. I added 1 tbsp of paprika.
5. First dip your cutlet in the flour station. Then in the egg station making sure to cover both sides with the egg. Last coat the cutlet with the bread crumbs.
6. Fry on a hot skillet or non-stick frying pan for a couple of minutes on both sides. Doesn’t take long.
7. Place each Schnitzel in a serving dish before serving. You might want to line the serving dish with paper towel to soak up the extra oil.
1 tbsp prepared mustard
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tomato, sliced thin
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
8 Greek Pitas
8. Combine the mustard and mayonnaise in a small mixing bowl before spreading onto the Schnitzel.
9. To assemble place one piece of Schnitzel in each pita. Spread on the mustard mayo mix and then top with a few slices of tomato and a sprinkle of parsley.