Now that September is in high gear with back to school and the weather changing, I have the perfect stew for you and your family to enjoy on a crisp September night. In the GTA we have been experiencing a beautiful Indian Summer however according to the weather forecast the temperature is going to drop making this dish a delight. Today I would like to share with you my Curried Lentil and Kale Stew packed with iron, calcium and potassium and not to mention the delicious and nutritious ingredients such as lentils, kale and potato.
2 cup of dried lentils
1 onion diced
1 tbsp minced garlic
4 mini yellow flesh potatoes
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp mint
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 bunch of kale, chopped thin
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup tomato pulp
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Boil the lentils in about 4 to 3 cups of water for 15 minutes.
2. Add the onion, garlic, potatoes and spices into the semi boiled lentils and give the ingredients a quick stir. Saute the vegetables with the lentils for 2 to 3 minutes to release the flavours of the onion, garlic and spices.
3. Stir in the chicken or vegetable stock along with the tomato pulp. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Half way through the simmering process add the kale and continue to simmer.
5. Just before the 30 minutes of simmering are over pour in the olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
6. Serve this stew with your favourite crisp bread or naan.