Beets; found in many recipes from different cultures are one of the most versatile and wholesome root vegetables. You can boil them and dressed them up with a bold vinaigrette to enjoy as a salad. You can puree the crimson globes into a hearty winter soup. Or you can put them through the juicer with a variety of other fruits and vegetables for nutrient packed smoothie. Whatever you fancy do with beets they are sure to please the palate and body. The beet’s dark purple colour aides as antioxidant agent and are also a great source to consume if you have issues with inflammation or need to detox. For more information about this amazing root vegetable visit The World’s Healthiest Foods. Recently, I have enjoyed beets two ways: once roasted and topped with creamy goat cheese and crunchy pecans on a bed of green leaf lettuce and as a simple beet salad. This is the recipe that I will share with you today.
6 to 8 beet bulbs
2 celery hearts
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup crumbled goat cheese
1. Cut beet bulbs into quarters for faster steaming time. Steam beets for 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
2. Wash and devine the celery hearts. Chop into bite size pieces and include the leaves of the celery because they add flavour and texture to the salad.
3. In a small mixing bowl prepare the dressing. Combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
4. Once the beets have cooled down to a good handling temperature peel away the skin off the beets and slice. Place in a medium size, pour the dressing over the warm beet slices and toss gently so that the dressing coats the beets well.
5. Last before serving sprinkle on the celery and goat cheese.