|Adzuki Bean Soup
This is by far the easiest soup I have ever made. Although, soaking of the beans takes a good 6 to 8 hours, the rest of the process is dead simple. Adzuki Bean Soup is a nice change from Lentil Soup or the traditional Fasolada (Navy Bean Soup) most Greek love. Not only is the Adzuki bean tasty it is also very low on the glycemic index and high in protein which is a great choice for those on a high protein low carb diet.
2 cups of adzuki beans, soaked in water for 6 to 8 hours
4 cups of boiled water
4 cups of tomato sauce
1 large onion, diced
3 to 4 garlic cloves, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp mint
2 cups of water
1. After soaking the beans for 6 to 8 hours, strain them and set aside.
2. Saute the onion, garlic and red pepper in a large stock pot or dutch oven, about 2 to 3 minutes on high heat.
3. Add the seasoning and continue sauteing for another 2 to 3 minutes, but reduce the heat.
4. Gently add the adzuki beans along with the boiled water. Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium. Boil beans for 30 minutes.
5. At 30 minutes of boiling, add the tomato sauce and extra water. The beans will still be a bit hard. Simmer for another 20 – 30 minutes. Stir often.
6. Serve with crusty bread.