Every now and then I like to try my hand at a cuisine that is foreign to me such as Indian food. I love the combination of spices that go into a masala mix and the creaminess of many dishes. When I go to an Indian Restaurant one of my go to menu items is Butter Chicken. Lately, we haven’t been dining out much due to parenting duties therefore I decided to recreate on my favourite Indian dishes at home.
2 lbs chicken breast, cubed
1 onion, minced
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 cups yogurt
1 cup tomato pulp
1 tbsp turmeric
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sugar
2 cups basmati rice
4 cups water
1. In a deep frying pan or a dutch oven brown the cubed chicken until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and set aside.
2. In the same pan saute the minced onion and garlic on medium/low heat so not to burn the garlic. Add the masala spice blend. Stir together.
3. Spoon in the sour cream and tomato juice to create a sauce. Make sure not the burn the sauce. Lower the heat and add the chicken pieces.
4. Stir all the contents together and close the pan or dutch oven with the lid. Let simmer for 10 minutes on low heat so that the sauce thickens slightly.
5. Meanwhile make the rice. I use a rice cooker for consistency and convenience. Add 4 cups of water to 2 cups of rice, canola oil and salt.
6. Serve on a bed of basmati rice.