Every now and then I dig into my recipe memory bank in search of a classic dish that has stood the test of time and that connects me to my heritage. As I was down to the last of the organic chicken we ordered from Nutrafarms I decided on a classic Greek dish that is simple to prepare yet very satisfying. Riganates Patates me Kota sto Fourno is a staple in many Greek kitchen for its simplicity in ingredients and preparation.
The traditional herbs and flavours of the Mediterranean are showcased in this dish. The lemon and garlic together with the spicy oregano reminds me of my time spent with relatives in Greece. Since this is a one pan dish you can make this while tackling other chores; much like I did. Served with a simple salad, Oven Roasted Garlic Lemon Oregano Chicken and Potatoes was a meal we all enjoyed. Here’s how I did it.
4 chicken breasts; bone in
8 yellow potatoes
4 to 5 garlic cloves
1 tbsp oregano
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Marinade the chicken breasts with the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in the roasting pan. Pour the 1/2 cup of water in the bottom on the pan and cover. Place the roasting pan in the fridge until the oven has reached the desired temperature.
3. While the chicken is marinading cut the potatoes into wedges, sprinkle with salt and set aside.
4. Roast the chicken at 425 F for 30 minutes. Remove from the pan after 30 minutes. Set aside.
5. Toss the potatoes in the chicken juices, pour chicken stock in the bottom of the pan and cover. Roast for 30 minutes.
6. After 30 minutes, uncover the potatoes, return the chicken to the pan placing it on top of the potatoes and continue roasting. Baste the chicken breasts before putting the pan back in the oven. Reduce temperature to 400 F and roast uncovered for another 30 minutes.